line decor
                                                                                                                      
line decor

 
 
History


 

 

In 1895, residents of the Spokane area purchased the area known as Twickenhan Park and deeded it to the government for the construction of a military post. Congress authorized the purchase of the land in 1896,construction of the post began in 1897, and it officially opened in 1899. Most of the buildings were built between 1897 and 1906. Fort George Wright was used for military purposes until 1957, when the government declared it surplus and gave educational facilities priority to purchase the property. Some of the land was used for Spokane Falls Community College in 1960, and the Sisters of the Holy Names purchased 76 acres for the relocation of Holy Names College, a four-year liberal arts college for women. The school was renamed Fort Wright College in 1963 and operated until 1982. During that time, the Commons dining hall was constructed (in 1963), followed by Regents dormitory in 1968 (renamed Covington in 1994). In 1968, St. Michael's Mission, a building dating from 1882 and originally located near the Bigelow Gulch Road, was moved to the Fort Wright Campus. The campus was listed as the Fort George Wright Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places in May 1976.

After the closure of Fort Wright College, the buildings were leased to various groups by Holy Names Center. The site was purchased in 1990 by Mukogawa Women's University for the establishment of Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute (MFWI), an intensive English and American Culture program. MFWI was granted a total agency exemption from the Washington Degree Authorization Act by the Higher Education Coordinating Board in March 1990, and in September 1994 the Board granted MFWI a Certificate of Approval as a branch campus of Mukogawa Women's University (made possible by the passage of "Substitute House Bill 1497").

In the years between 1990 and 2000, the existing buildings have been restored and renovated, the grounds have been meticulously groomed, 192 trees have been planted (21 of them donated by successive classes of students), and in 1994 a 20,000 square foot Library was constructed. The campus is a site of learning and cultural exchange, as well as a popular venue for meetings, weddings, and other functions for the community of Spokane.

 

Timeline:
1800's
1894
Residents of the Spokane area donated $40,000 to purchase 1,022 acres, which was deeded to the government for the construction of a military post.   The land chosen was known as "Twickenhan Park".
1896
In June, Congress authorized $100,000 for the purchase and construction of the military post which began on June 27, 1897.
1898
The first buildings constructed were the Quartermaster Stables (Bldg. #835), and the Ammunition Building (Bldg. #841).  Senior Officer Quarters were built from 1899 to 1906.  Two  NCO Quarters were built in 1899, and four NCO Quarters in 1933.
1899
The first occupants of Fort Wright were Company "M", 24th Black Infantry Regiment, who were veterans of the Spanish-American War and the Indian War, who were stationed at Fort Wright from 1899 to 1908.
A 100' flagpole, manufactured by the M.O. Nelson Company of St. Louis, MO, and dated March 9, 1897, was constructed on the Parade Ground.  Due to metal deterioration, the flagpole was removed in September, 1994.  Some of the material used to construct an historical memorial plaque on the same base came from the original flagpole.
December 13 - The Post Cemetery was authorized by the Secretary of War and is still located on the property.  To date, approximately 710 persons are buried there.
1900's
1908
Post was visited by President Teddy Roosevelt
1930
Civilian Conservation Corps shared the military site
1936
The Post Exchange, Bldg. #4, was constructed by the WPA.  It is now utilized as the Japanese Cultural Center.
1941-45
Buildings were used as the Army Air Force Convalescent Center during World War II.
1947-58
NCO and Officers' housing for Fairchild Air Force Base
1957
Property was declared surplus by the U.S. Government.   Educational facilities had a priority to utilize/purchase the property.
1960
76 acres were purchased by the Sisters of the Holy Names to relocate their four-year liberal arts college for women, which was named Fort Wright College.
1963
Sisters of the Holy Names (Fort Wright College) built the dining hall (Commons).
1968
Sisters of the Holy Names built Regents Dormitory (now named Covington Hall).
1990
In June, 71.5 acres were purchased from the Sisters of the Holy Names by Mukogawa Gakuin of Japan to establish a U.S. branch campus of Mukogawa Women's University.  It was named Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute.
1993-94
Construction of a 20,000 sq. ft. building for a library and resource center.
2000's  
2011

Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation for the period April 2011 through April 2014. CEA is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a national accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the U.S.


 
 
 
     

 

       

         
                 
     

Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation for the period August 2014 through August 2024 and agrees to uphold the CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions.  CEA is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a national accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the U.S. For further information about this accreditation, please contact CEA, 801 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 402A, Alexandria, VA 22314 (703.519.2070, www.cea-accredit.org.

 

         
     

MFWI Homepage | Webmail | Campus Map | Help and Support | Online Forms | Academics Teamsite | RA Teamsite

         
                 
      Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute | 4000 W. Randolph Road | Spokane, WA  99224 | 509-328-2971          
      Copyright © 2015 Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute.